Something to Say

Last month, I made a post about National Novel Writing Month. I set a goal for myself: 20,000 words. In thirty days. That's a lot, write? 
I am very psyched to say that I completed it in twenty-eight days instead! An entire manuscript finished. Oh my gosh. It's incredible. I'm tingling with excitement. 
So, I think I'm a good writer now. That's a dumb idea. Am I right on this? Probably not.
Maybe you want to write something. Like, really REALLY, your greatest ambition, you want to write. Maybe you want to show the world a damn good book, or a short story, or even a pretty poem. Why don't you do it? Because you're not good enough. Yet. Or maybe not at all.
  Well, I'm here to tell you that these thoughts are bunk. Yes, your grammar is awful. And yes, your plot needs a lot of help, but that's not what it's about. It's about the story you have to tell. It's about what you want the world to hear so badly. Everything you write is building up to someone's inspiration. Why do you think I'm writing this? I'm not even sure if you're benefiting from this or if you're just reading it because you're stuck in your bed with the flu and you don't have anything better to do. I'm writing it because I think that I have something to say. I think, anyway. Or maybe because I've been writing for twenty-eight days straight and can't stop cause my fingers are stuck to the keyboard.
 So, nice person who has something yearning to leap out into the world, please write what you want to say. If you can't do that, sing it, play it, draw it, paint it... there's so many outlets to choose from! Trust me, there's nothing worse you can do to yourself than keep from doing the thing you love. I've been through that. I go through it every day.
 I hope that you enjoyed this and don't want to give me anything but a smack in the mouth (or, in this case, the fingers). But, even if you do, I hope you got something out of this piece of whatever it is. Leave a like or a comment. But only if you want to. I don't force people. 
 Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts